Grand Connaught Rooms

Completed for:
61-65 Great Queen Street
London
London City of
WC2B 5DA
Completed by:

The building has been the Headquarters of the Freemasons since 1717. Originally, the freemasons would meet in various taverns until, in 1775, the Marquis of Normandy's mansion was demolished and the foundation stone was laid at 61 Great Queen Street.

In 1908 the building was divided and the dining rooms named the Connaught Rooms after the first Duke of Connaught, Grand Master of the Freemasons at that time.

One of London's most famous locations, for much of its existence Covent Garden served as the largest fruit and vegetable market in England. The market used to cover the whole of the square and occupied many of the buildings, but has since been transformed beyond all recognition.